Wednesday, December 2, 2009

Wolf Kill


A hunter killed one of the Crex wolf pack during the recent deer hunting season. It was deposited in a parking lot near Buggert L. The wolf was an adult male weighing about 65 lb. There are two remaining black adults: one collared and the other known as "Gimpy" because of a deformed front leg. I have not seen a photo of the dead wolf but this photo from last spring is most likely the one that was killed. I hope to see a photo of the dead wolf to compare chest markings. Unfortunately, wolves and men have a long and tenuous relationship.
Dale

3 comments:

Crex Meadows Lovers said...

I will never ever understand killing something just for the thrill. I certainly don't think this was accidental. I for one would donate to a reward fund.

Crex Meadows Lovers said...

I forgot to sign my name on the previous comment. Kathy J.

Kim Wheeler said...

Another possible reson for the killing: It is a commonly-accepted practice in these parts for hunters to shoot dogs who are chasing deer. This black wolf may have been mistaken for a dog, and perhaps it was chasing a deer past a hunter. If the hunter realized it was a wolf, they probably did not want to get caught with a dead wolf so they discarded it at Crex. Then again, it may have been on purpose - lots of hunters in this area hate wolves, and some have told me that they would shoot a wolf if they had a chance. It is an extremely disheartening occourance reagardless of how and why it happened.