Tuesday, December 1, 2009

Trumpeter Swan 82K

Blogging is a new experience for me so there's going to be some trial and error and testing. This is my first try at posting a test video. I took it last February. Trumpeter Swans are one of the favorite things I love to see at Crex, Fish Lake and the surrounding areas. 82K is quite an old gal. She was captive reared and released in 1991 which means she was hatched in the spring of 1989. That makes her over 20 years old now. I've seen her in quite a few areas at Crex, in fact I just saw her yesterday on Phantom Lake with her new uncollared mate swimming among the 100 or so other swans there. She has a green collar so is pretty easy to spot as there aren't too many other swans with this color collar in the area. An interesting side note is that P94 (yellow collar) is her daughter born in 2002. P94's mate is J90 (red collar) and they nest on Kylingstad Flowage.
Watch the video closely and you can see her pick the ice out of her feathers.

Kathy J.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

I just took a picture of 82K this A.M. 5-24-2013 in Crex. I was within 6 feet of her snapping pics and watching her preening herself.....cool.