Thursday, April 7, 2011

Spring, again!


No more false promises, it has finally arrived. The next several days should be peak for early season migrants. A couple of unusual sightings, at least in my experience, occurred yesterday. A golden eagle was sharing a tree with an immature bald eagle providing a unique chance to compare them. As I was ending my day a short eared owl nearly took my cap off. I was too shocked to move when I saw a bird coming at me in near darkness. I must have done something because at ten feet in diverted.

Butterflies have also warmed up. Two hibernators were out yesterday: the eastern comma and mourning cloak. The orange of the comma was a welcome sight as it floated about. For the plant lovers the skunk cabbage are out in the seeps along the St. Croix.

This weekend promises to be a spectacular show of early spring at Crex Meadows.
Dale

No comments: