Monday, March 15, 2010

Grettum Otters


At certain times I wish I had a more powerful lens for my camera and a HD video cam. Today at Grettum Flowage in Fish Lake was one of those days. I saw 2 Otters by the control structure and watched them for quite a while. They would dive down into the water and come up with a Painted Turtle and eat it. It would take them a few minutes to eat one and quite often you could hear the shell skittering along the ice. Turtle shells were scattered along the edge of the ice. Once in awhile one otter would go sliding across the ice to finish eating a turtle in a different area.
While watching the otters I could hear Sandhills on Grettum. Also saw the first butterfly of the season, a Mourning Cloak, and the first Bluebirds of the year.
Kathy J. 


Posted by Picasa

2 comments:

Wanda said...

Are you kidding? These are so fun! I am jealous!

Dale Bohlke said...

What a difference a week makes in the ice and wildlife activity. Hope to get some footage next week. Dale